Monday, February 8, 2016

Patience is a virtue!

Patience is a virtue! How many times have we heard that. or something like it? The act of setting aside our wants for the time being, and waiting to a later date to obtain that in which we want right now. Maybe we as a people are less patient than we used to be, and so this diminished attribute can sometimes be overlooked; but we certainly acknowledge when others manifest a lack of patience. Looking back through my life I can associate every major mistake with a lack of patience. As I have grown older, I have been able to exercise patience. I certainly was not born with this attribute, as a child I was a bit of a brat, I wanted what I wanted at that time, and most of the time, I could not get my mind off of the object of my desire. I would say that there are still times when I feel the tug and pull of wants or needs but part of being a grownup is being able to wait, to hold off. I would love to share some secrets to my success but in truth, my success has come from catastrophic failure in refusing to wait until the right time. It is hard to say when the right time to do certain things is right. I do believe in the old adage "good things come to those who wait". You do not always get what you want, but in the end, I have found I am often better off or something else happens of equal value. I wish I had learned these things when I was younger, because I never waited, and often pushed rather than exercising patience, especially in my relationships. Sometimes we need consequences in order to teach us something, I certainly have learned to be patient. There are always silver linings out there to be had and sometimes when we feel we have lost an opportunity, we have in fact bolstered our character. The world is not a kind place, there will always be ups and downs, its far better to develop a sense of patience, than to react to your circumstances through negativity. Patience is indeed a virtue, and despite my failures I am becoming something much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment